Dram Shop Actions

Injuries sustained in alcohol-related accidents and collisions are often severe and can be fatal. If you or a loved one have been injured by a drunk driver, you may have a claim against the driver and potentially other third parties. Bars, clubs and restaurants that serve alcohol are required to follow certain protocols. It is against the law for an employee of an establishment that serves beer, wine and/or liquor to knowingly continue to serve alcohol to a customer who is intoxicated or to serve alcohol to minors. Commercial establishments that serve alcohol are required to ensure that their bartenders and staff receive proper training to detect intoxication and to ensure that customers are of legal drinking age. Failure to follow these protocols can result in a claim for negligence against the establishment – this is referred to as a “dram shop action.” If a bar or restaurant over-serves a patron or customer and that individual causes harm to others upon leaving the bar or restaurant, the commercial establishment could be held liable. Bars, clubs and restaurants are required to carry insurance coverage for this type of occurrence. You need an attorney who can assess the circumstances of your collision and investigate whether a dram shop action is applicable. ​


If you were in an accident due to a drunk driver, click below. Let us help you.